Reprinted from The National Trust website.
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA: Once headquarters for the Coastal Artillery Corps that guarded the entrance to the Golden Gate Bridge during WWI, Pilots’ Row embodies the dawn of the era of flight in the American West. Understanding the usefulness of airplanes for artillery reconnaissance during WWI, the Army built an airfield along the Presidio’s northern shoreline in 1919. The field was augmented by a crescent of hangars and warehouses in 1921. At the same time, thirteen officers’ quarters—known as “Pilots’ Row”—were constructed nearby to house aviators and their families.
Today, these houses, located in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, are vacant and have not seen attention for more than two decades. All contain lead-based paint and hazardous materials both on their interior and exterior and are highly susceptible to earthquake damage.
Grant funds of $50,000 will be used by The Presidio Trust to restore the homes for civilian use and to help preserve a national park and National Historic Landmark District.